Nominated 14th August 2012 by La Vagabonde. Thank you!
Her photographic blog Postcards from Budapest has a quirky and dreamlike quality that I love.
Recipients of the award are asked to:
- Identify the awards and who gave them to you.
- Post the Logo on your blog.
- Share 7 items about yourself.
- Nominate 5-10 other bloggers to receive this award, and notify them on their blogs.
I figure anyone who reads my blog will already know more than 7 things about me.
My nominations are as follows.
1. Everything Begins at 60. My favourite blog. At first it was her writing style that grabbed me. Then I got sucked into the minutiae of her life in the quiet sunshine of an old French town; her weekly meetings with a friend at the coffee shop; secret trespasses with her dog; altercations with a neighbour about geraniums; reminiscences about turtle poachers in the dead of night. I gradually learned that Brianda Domecq has had an extremely colourful and unusual life. As a blogger, she’s filled with curiosity, adventure, respect for her fellow man, and some really delicious turns of phrase.
2. The Smile Scavenger is on a quest for things that make her smile. There is charm in the things she chooses, and it’s hard not to smile too. At the same time, one senses a sadness in her life, and it is this that gives the blog depth and quality. She lives in a culture that cannot easily accept her relationship with her life partner, nor allow them to marry.
3. The Lonely dogs. Compelling photos of 23 rescue dogs who live in Mexico with this blogger. The images and titles tell their own stories without the embellishment of extra words. Heartwarming and a little poignant.
4. Ben Williams’ World. Ben Williams is this young kid, whose tagline is “roleplaying, risotto and reading”. At my old school, he’d have been branded a nerd and given a weekly kicking. His interests and activities are wide-ranging, with photographs galore. He runs a regular quiz, for the fun of it. The maturity of his writing is contrasted against his child’s-eye view of the world as Totally Awesome.
5. Macrocritters. Beautiful macro photographs of very tiny critters, with accounts of the trials and tribulations of obtaining said photos. An example of how intrepid this photographer is can be seen in his series of pics of a mosquito gradually inflating as she gorges on his own blood.